Hens legs/body not developed correctly.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by breeannahayden, Oct 9, 2013.

1. breeannahayden

breeannahayden New Egg

Oct 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

This hens legs are very large around. This is not a new condition that started, she has grown like this. Her body never developed right either. Any ideas on what might be wrong with her? She lays down a lot also. All the other chickens I got at the same time developed fine.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  3. breeannahayden

breeannahayden New Egg

Oct 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

She is defiantly a Cornish hen. This is one we got at the same time, you can see the difference in development in comparison to the 2. Also, the one with the larger legs an smaller body lays down most of the day and walks funny, almost as if her legs hurt her. But she is eating and thriving. Any ideas on what may be wrong with her?

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    well i dont know if that helped her or not but u just helped me with a bantem hen ive had for a yr. and never did know what it was. thanks. will it die young?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most cornish hens have extremely stocky legs. Sometimes gout can make the legs very swollen and painful. Many people feed layer feed to all of their chickens, and it has 3 times the calcium that chicks and roosters (or all non-layers need.) This can cause gout, as well as dehydrations, vitamin A deficiency, too much salt in the diet, and some diseases. Here is an article to read: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/550983/gout-in-birds-interesting-article

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Meat birds are usually a cornish hen crossed with something else and aren't meant to live long, but a pure cornish hen shouldn't die young. I really don't know much about the breed. Here is some info:http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/cornish.html

7. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by