Hens let the chicks out...now what?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by orchidchick, Dec 31, 2008.

1. orchidchick

orchidchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    On Saturday, when my son was here, we moved the Chicknhutch and run with the now 4 week old chicks into the main run with my three 7 month old Hens. That first day was NOISY, and a couple of the chicks were just as interested in pecking at the hens as well thru the wire. The hens spent the day running circles around the run trying to get at those chicks. But things settled down after the first few days.

I came home today to find that the hens had dug a hole big enough for the chicks to get out under the run and two of them were running around with them in the main run, and two were still in the small one. I had a handful of grapes which I tossed into the main coop and locked the big girls up and collected the chicks up and to my surprise, NO ONE was hurt!!!

I have no idea how long they were out, I only have food and water in both of the coops. I don't know if the chicks get out, if they are smart enough to get back in their own run? I did fill in the hole but that doesn't mean they won't dig anther one. I am in Florida so the soil is soft and sandy. Or is the fact that the hens left them alone that they have been accepted into the flock and I can make them a "door" into their run so they have a place to go?

I need the great minds of experience here!

Thanks,

Orchidchick

2. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    chickens should be the same size before you put them together!

If you are going to leave them together put a few objects in coop so chicks have a lace to hide!

3. orchidchick

orchidchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    I'm wondering if maybe it may be better to leave the smaller run door propped open enough for the chicks to come and go (but not open enough for the hens) vs. a small escape hole they may not be able to find to get back in.
    I'll be able to play with it a bit more over the holiday when I can supervise.

Thanks for responding,
    Orchidchick

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    That's just what I was going to say. Prop the door, but not enough for the hens to get in, and SUPERVISE! It could be they are ready to mingle. I've had chicks hatched under a broody and the mom would bring the babies to hang with the rest of the flock and no one bothered them. But yours don't have a mom? That would make a difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by