Hens look really bad still

brandy21410

Songster
Feb 26, 2016
Apple Valley (high desert) , Ca
So i have had my birds on 24% protein feed now since i saw them peck each other feathers more than a month ago, but i havent seen them peck in a long time but the feathers are getting worse. They are snapped off mid shaft by something. It is mainly on the buts, head and back. I do have a dominate hen that kicks them out of the nesting box (the light brahma which is also having broken feathers) this nesting box in particular is considered the favorite. (They have 4 boxes) but she doesn't ever take feathers out.they are allowed out periodically on the weekends but jave a big area they are allowed in on week days until i get home from school because my sisters dogs are not trained to be arround the chickens. I also separated the dominate hen and she is just really bad and once i get more chickens next spring i will be culling her because of it, but she hasn't been doing it as bad latley. I started to think it could be mites or lice even though i haven't seen any,so i treated with poultry dust and it is literally getting worse. They are not allowed out of the coop until 9am on the weekends but they are allowed out at 7am on the week days due to my neighbors complaining the coop they are in is completley dark but could they be picking eachother early in the morning? Even though they can't see? I am worried that it could be really resilient mites or lice and i know how dangerouse they are. I treated for 3 weeks as directed. But idk what it could be!!?? Here are pics hopefully someone can help. Should i use the seven dust everyone recommends on here or ??

PLEASE HELP TIA

Last edited:
So I dusted my chickens with the seven dust and was wondering how long do i wait for results? Will they have to moult again to get new and better feathers or? Also i just put my muscovys in with the flock should I treat them as well. Also my muscovys are being very mean to the hens. I have had them separated but right next to each other and the muscovy hens are nust really mean, can yhey hurt the hens? TIA!!

Last edited:
So I dusted my chickens with the seven dust and was wondering how long do i wait for results? Will they have to moult again to get new and better feathers or? Also i just put my muscovys in with the flock should I treat them as well. Also my muscovys are being very mean to the hens. I have had them separated but right next to each other and the muscovy hens are nust really mean, can yhey hurt the hens? TIA!!
I honestly do not know about the ducks, if they have mites or not. You do need to treat for mites 7 days after first treatment to break the life cycle of the nits. the rough feathers will be replaced when your birds molt next time. Missing feathers should start growing back. I'd keep them on the higher protein until the missing feathers are back since some are missing quite a few and feather production takes a lot of protein. Make sure to offer oyster shell if your feed isn't a layer feed :)

You may have to ask on the duck part of the forum about housing them with your chickens. Sorry I do not know.

Last edited:
I honestly do not know about the ducks, if they have mites or not.  You do need to treat for mites 7 days after first treatment to break the life cycle of the nits.  the rough feathers will be replaced when your birds molt next time.  Missing feathers should start growing back.  I'd keep them on the higher protein until the missing feathers are back since some are missing quite a few and feather production takes a lot of protein.  Make sure to offer oyster shell if your feed isn't a layer feed :)

You may have to ask on the duck part of the forum about housing them with your chickens.  Sorry I do not know.

Ok thank u!! I will be treating them again this sunday (7days later). I hope my ducks stop being so mean soon. Lol

Back
Top Bottom