Hens loosing feathers lower back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lindsay03, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Lindsay03

Lindsay03 New Egg

Nov 14, 2008
    Rocky Mountains, CO.
    Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have 12 hens.. 6 Arauncanas 2 Buff orpingtons 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 black lostrops. several of them have bald spots on the lower back. Is this normal molting or is something else going on. They seem happy and healthy otherwise.

Thanks, Lindsay

2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    How many roos you have?

3. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be too many roos....
    It could be molting time (although it wouldn't be isolated to the lower back)

I've found it to be a symptom of feather mites. The feathers become brittle from the mites eating the feathers and then the roo is on their backs and it then breaks the weak feathers.

Dust the chickens with fowl mite powder (found at feed stores).....or Food Grade Diatimaceous Earth (if you can find it). Clean out their coop and cover all the wood with orange oil. Also dust all the clean bedding and add some to their favorite dust bathing spots.

They'll have to go through molt to replace those feathers, because they're broken...not fallen out.

Good luck
    Sandra

4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    If you have roosters, those hens with the naked backs are the most 'popular' or the most cooperative- however you want to look at it. If you have no males/roosters, if could be molting- chickens will molt in patches.

5. Lindsay03

Lindsay03 New Egg

Nov 14, 2008
    Rocky Mountains, CO.
    Thanks for the help..... No roosters. I think I will try dusting for mites. By any chance does cold kill the mites? Had our first snowfall today.

6. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

the cold helps....but don't forget your chickens and your coop are warm.

Don't rely on the cold...

It is molting time....this is actually an advantage, as it makes it easier to get the dust down to the skin level as well as you're treating the mites before they damage the new feathers.

Good luck
    Sandra

7. Lindsay03

Lindsay03 New Egg

Nov 14, 2008
    Rocky Mountains, CO.
    OK Got the powder. Can I just dust once or do I have to do it for several days. Should I dust everyone, even ifI don't see any sign?

Thanks. Glad I found this site!!!! Lindsay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by