Hens loosing feathers, no eggs, not eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stockekj, Oct 24, 2010.

1. stockekj

stockekj New Egg

Oct 24, 2010
    I have 5 hens - 2 reds 2 buffs and 1 barred plymouth rock. 2.5 yrs old. About 1 month ago, they had a mite infestation which I cleaned the coop & pen, sprayed with Poultry Protector (manufactured by ISP-care free enzymes, inc.) I also sprayed the hens. Now, they are loosing thier feathers (bald spots), not eating thier feed (will eat greens, fruit, scratch), losing weight, laid no eggs since. I am sooooo worried. Please help,any advice would be most appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. bobby d

bobby d Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Texas
    They could be just molting. It's that time of season right now. I had several hens go bald in some spots and my laying production went way down. I was getting about 2 dozen a day and now maybe 1 or 2. I'm not sure about the eating though. As long as they are taking something in they should be fine. I hope everything works out ok.

3. bobby d

bobby d Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Texas
    Oh and welcome to Back Yards!!

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

What bobby d said
    and the lack of laying could be because it is getting darker out, Less light =less eggs.
    And laying slows down during molt
    Also at 2.5 yo your hens will be slowing down on the egg production.

Imp- Welcome to BYC

5. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    while I agree, this is the time of year for molting, I would also double check for mites again. if your birds are losing weight and not eating, be aware of other causes besides molting. are you sure they are losing weight, or are they just looking smaller due to loss of feathers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by