1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens losing feathers around neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KileyH, Jan 1, 2013.

1. KileyH

KileyH New Egg

Apr 28, 2012
    We have 5 young hens and noticed yesterday that 2 of them (an Arucana and a Wyandotte) have significantly bare necks. They don't seem to be bloody or raw, just missing feathers. We live in NH and have close to 10 inches of snow on the ground. They have a small shoveled area in their yard which they've explored a bit, but obviously haven't been getting their typical dose of the outdoors. I have not seen the others pecking at them, but maybe winter boredom could be the source? Should I separate the 2 or just keep an eye out??

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Sounds like they are molting. There is a link in my signature on molting if you want to know more.

3. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    If you have roosters thats what they do to mate. hens will peck each other in the coop. Best leave them alone . Keep your eye on them so they dont get worst. You can keep them busy by putting more hay or straw. They are bored and playing in hay keeps them busy .

4. KileyH

KileyH New Egg

Apr 28, 2012
    Well, I did end up separating the 2 that were getting picked on because it was getting much worse. They are just beginning to grow their feathers back now. Any suggestions about how/when to reintroduce them to the others? And how can I prevent them from getting picked on again? I've heard that putting them in the coop at night is the best way to do it...

5. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Yes putting them in at night is best. Here is something called pinless peepers and they make it so they can peck the others.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by