Hens losing feathers on back....dont know what to do...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LizJ1981, Jan 14, 2010.

1. LizJ1981

LizJ1981 New Egg

Nov 10, 2008
    Hello,
    I have a small backyard flock of hens; 2 golden laced wyandotte hens and 2 barred plymouth rock hens--NO roosters. A few months ago the 2 wyandottes began losing feathers on their backs and bottoms. The barred rocks are not losing any feathers. All birds appear healthy and active. They are allowed to roam in the yard during the day and are locked in the coop at night. They are fed layer pellets and cracked corn, with occasional scratch as a treat. Recently, a have noticed a few feathers reappearing on one of the wyandottes, but none on the other. I cant seem to find any information on what could be the cause of this. If it was mites, wouldnt all the hens be affected? And if it was moulting, why havent the feathers grown back (its been over 3 months)? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I dont know what to do this...
    Thank you!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. poultrypatch

poultrypatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Rochester
    Imp....thanks for those 2 sites. Very good.

LIZJ1981 :
    I too have a little hen...frizzled black Chochin Banty. She has a large bald spot...with some quills..in the center of her back. Of course being blk and frizzled it really stands out. Yesterday I brought her in to my house. She seems fine eats, drinks, poops. Today I bought some BluKote (? sp) I sprayed her back and she's still in. I don't want her being picked to death. Area wasn't bloody, but was pink. I do have some Banty roos in her coop, also 1 standard roo. These chicks are all about 18 wks.
    I am assuming they're pecking at her ??? Not missing other feathers. On Jan 3rd she laid an egg..face is red.....only 2 other Banties to choose from and they're not red. I haven't seen an egg since. I don't know about Banties but that was strange.

The chicken mysteries continue !

Liz
    Rochester, MA

4. LizJ1981

LizJ1981 New Egg

Nov 10, 2008
    Imp, thanks for those articles; they were helpful. I have never noticed pecking among my hens, and I just went and examined them and see no sign of lice or mites. So, i will try adding more protein to their diet and see if that helps.
    Thanks again for your help,
    Liz

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

This is going a little out there, but people have reported that their hens have taken on a dominant rooish personality. Could one of your hens be gender bending?

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by