Hens losing tail feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azulrooster, Dec 9, 2010.

1. azulrooster

azulrooster Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    Utah
    I have 8 egg layers. Since the winter has set in, I have noticed a few of the hens have lost their tail feathers.
    I have 4 WhiteLeghorns and 4 Rhode Island Reds. One hen from each group has lost tail feathers.
    Looks like another hen is pecking at them???
    Any help is appreciated.

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    They could be moulting or the hens could be feather picking them or both. I am having the same thing happen with one of my golden cuckoo pullets. In my case I know it is feather pulling going on. I put a chicken saddle on her but it isn't long enough to cover her tail so I am trying to think of what to do next. I am wondering if I should put some blue kote on her? They aren't really picking at her body though just the feathers so far....

3. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

blue coat works well for us , we get them at night when there roosting and spray them and it works also im sure u all are better with chickens than me but check for mites , sometines they lash out if uncomfortable
    Quote:

4. LegsAndEggs

LegsAndEggs New Egg

Dec 9, 2010
    Morgantown
    We have several that have been moulting for weeks and the other ladies are helping in removing the feathers. I have two ladies whose skin looked awful on the back of their neck and and on their backs. We did not blue kote since there was no bleeding and within a week of being picked (almost clean) their skin looked better and the others left them alone. I do not know if that helps or hurts but I just think it is the time of year for feather loss.

5. azulrooster

azulrooster Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    Utah
    sorry what is blueKoat?

6. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

iam fifty and cant type or sprll good but blue coat is a blur colored anticeptic that taste bad to chickens but its good stop birds pecking
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by