Hens losong their feathers!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ginger497, Jun 29, 2011.

1. ginger497

ginger497 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    I have had 12 hens for over a year now and since march, they have been losing their feathers and they havent grown back yet. I thought it was just molting, but do they molt for a long time or is it a nutritional problem?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

What are you feeding them? Is there a roo in with them?

A long molt is possible, but there may be other causes.

3. ginger497

May 25, 2010
    I have been giving them layer mash, plenty of grass and I give them other greens, carrots, and vegies.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Could be feather pecking from the others god I hope not.

5. ginger497

May 25, 2010
    well, what does that mean?

6. Crabella

Crabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    Feather picking is when the hens pull feathers out of each other. It can be a sign that they need protein or be from over crowding. It can become a habit that is hard to break. Try feeding higher protein feed. Some add cat food as a source of protein. Maybe that will help. If it is a prolonged molt, the additional protein will help them grow feathers back more quickly.

oh, and [​IMG] You can use the search function to look for "feather picking" or "feather loss" and find further information. Keep us posted on how they are doing.

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I don't mean to hijack your thread ginger, but I have been struggling with this for six months! Several of my hens seemed to be bottom of the pile and getting badly picked on. Their backs were bald! So, I separated the three from the flock so their feathers could grow back ------ no luck! These three picked on each other even more!!

Anyone have ideas what to do next?? Now I have a broody going which is simply not going to help flock dynamics!

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

I don't mean to hijack your thread ginger, but I have been struggling with this for six months! Several of my hens seemed to be bottom of the pile and getting badly picked on. Their backs were bald! So, I separated the three from the flock so their feathers could grow back ------ no luck! These three picked on each other even more!!

Anyone have ideas what to do next?? Now I have a broody going which is simply not going to help flock dynamics!

I don't like pinless peepers, but if the situation was bad enough they may be warranted.​

9. ginger497

May 25, 2010
    Crabella,
    I Really Appreciate The Information....... I Did Read A Little Bit About The Lack Of Protien And Will Try To Suppliment This. Never Thought Of The Cat Food! Thanks For The Tip!

I Have What In My Ward,
    I Don't Mind. These Forums Are Here For Information And Feedbacks! I Appreciate Your Input Also! GOOD LUCK WIH YOUR HENS!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by