Hens lossing feathers on back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sherry1960, Oct 22, 2007.

1. sherry1960

sherry1960 New Egg

Oct 22, 2007
    I have 18 hens,8 months old, they have all lost feathers along their back, about the size of a 50 cent piece, they all have bare skin areas. I don't ever see them pecking at each other, and there is no blood. It's the area right before the tail feathers. any ideas as to what this is
    Sherry

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If there's no rooster... I would have to say picking. Mites? Lice? Molting and they found pin feathers taste good?

3. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    Bingo, Silkiechicken! Don't mean to steal this thread, but you finally nailed my ongoing concern. I rehomed two roos that badly damaged 4 hens, all RIR's. Its been 2 months and 3 of the hens are growing back their rump feathers (base of tail on back). I noticed one hen started to grow back her feathers, but as each started to pop out, it would disappear. Now, I feel I have a"picker" and I have no clue which one it is. We did catch the abused hen yesterday and coated her bare area with Blu-Kote. Anything else we can do, speaking for me and sherry1960?

Thanks for clearing this up, now I just need to know how to deal with it!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, looks like you are doing what is right. If blue kote doesn't work, try upping protein in their feed and using hot pick or anti pick on them.

5. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    Silkiechicken, thanks so much. I will do that if I need to. It was just so nice to read an email that exactly explained my current problem (thanks to sherry1960) after I dealt with the initial one with the roos. I just thought this one hen was a slow molter, but now I'm convinced that isn't the case.

Now, will the true PICKER please stand up! Nice to know it isn't the only hen who eats out of my hand!

sherry1960 and silkiechicken, thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by