Hens making new noises

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Siler, May 29, 2010.

1. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    It seems that I'm asking more questions than ever before these days. Here's my new issue/question. For the past 2 days I've noticed more noise from my hens. Usually it's the Alpha Hen making the noise and she sounds like a baboon or something in the jungle and we're just used to it, but now both Wyandottes are making the same noise. They're the 2 next in line as far as the pecking order, but 1 of the Wyandottes although higher up doesn't do much pecking or any other aggressive tenancies. They make this noise with their beaks fully open while their whole body shakes as if it takes all of their might to do it. I don't think anything is wrong with them, but what's up? Are they just making sure everyone is understood that they rule the roost?

To explain more, we have some new things going on. 2 days ago hubs also removed some old fixtures in the coop and installed a new roosting bar and it's a little more difficult for them to move around as they're preparing for bedtime so that has disrupted things at night. Also we have 2 new chicks moving around in the yard during the day. At night the chicks come back to the house to sleep in the laundry room, but during the day there is some fighting between them and those lowest on the pecking order.

So are the 2 Wyandottes just reestablishing their order at the top?

2. Netherworldtaken

Netherworldtaken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    We had three RIR, one was a rooster, we later added a Barred Rock and a buff Orph. When we realized we had a rooster that we weren't allowed to have we rehomed him and one of the RIRs took charge of the group and made those sort of calls. Now that the Buff and the Rock are a bit older the Buff and the boss got in an argument that lasted a few days over which lady would be in charge. The both made those noises. Now the Red seems to be mostly in charge but the buff largely ignores her. It is my understanding that this pecking order will be readjusted on an ongoing basis and control of the flock can change. From everything I have read, that's what it sounds like is happening to you too. Personally I love the sounds as for the most part our little flock is almost silent most of the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by