Hens mating other Hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ryanhodapp, Jul 24, 2011.

1. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    Today I saw my bantum frizzle mating my 3 1/2 month old silkie (who she raised from a chick.) Then my Easter Egger has been mating the swame bantum frizzle. I have only seen the EE do it to that frizzel and only started this summer.

What is up with that?
    Dominance?
    (yes they are hens, I swear, its their second summer.)

thanks,
    Marlene

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, dominance. Animals show dominance in ways that humans don't get sometimes, but yup, it's quite common.

3. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    thank you for posting the older thread and for changing my h>>> to mating. I just didnt think mating was good for same sex and couldnt think of a better word.

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I've noticed my five 6-month-old black australorps ALL missing neck feathers. Some more than others...one (Betty) almost bald! I also have 3 white leghorns...and today I finally caught the WL culprit - she had jumped on the back of Betty, laid in with her claws, and started pecking out more feathers! I happened to be watering with the hose at the time so I turned the stream on her, the caught her and carried her around the yard like a football for 15 minutes while I finished watering! I'm just going to carry her around a couple of times a day to see if I can knock her off her high horse!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by