1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Hens miss their brother - anything I can do to help them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by becngugriss, Jan 19, 2014.

1. becngugriss

becngugriss Hatching

Jan 19, 2014
    Hello all. My family has raised 3 Black Australorps from chicks - our first time with chickens. They hens are now starting to lay, but one turned out to be a roo that we returned to the breeder where he will be well cared for. However, his two sisters that he left behind seem to be missing him - the three of them have been virtually inseparable since birth. We returned the roo yesterday and today I have observed quite a bit of pacing and other behavior that shows they are a little stressed. I have read in the forum that this usually lasts about a week and then they will settle down. In the meantime, I was wondering if there is anything my family can do to make them more comfortable and adjust to the change. I'm thinking we can spend a little more time with them- they always seem to enjoy our company. Just wondering if anyone has some advice to help us make our pets/laying hens more comfortable. Thank you!

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Maybe find things to keep them busy. apple or cabbage on a string, that type of thing.

3. BYCoop

BYCoop In the Brooder

Jan 18, 2014
    High up in Colorado
    You might not want to, but getting another chicken might help. I started out with an Australorp too, Rexie, and her brother, Teeter. Teeter had to go away to a farm, but we got another chicken instead. This has worked great so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by