Hens miss their brother - anything I can do to help them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by becngugriss, Jan 19, 2014.

1. becngugriss

becngugriss New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    Hello all. My family has raised 3 Black Australorps from chicks - our first time with chickens. They hens are now starting to lay, but one turned out to be a roo that we returned to the breeder where he will be well cared for. However, his two sisters that he left behind seem to be missing him - the three of them have been virtually inseparable since birth. We returned the roo yesterday and today I have observed quite a bit of pacing and other behavior that shows they are a little stressed. I have read in the forum that this usually lasts about a week and then they will settle down. In the meantime, I was wondering if there is anything my family can do to make them more comfortable and adjust to the change. I'm thinking we can spend a little more time with them- they always seem to enjoy our company. Just wondering if anyone has some advice to help us make our pets/laying hens more comfortable. Thank you!

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Maybe find things to keep them busy. apple or cabbage on a string, that type of thing.

3. BYCoop

BYCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2014
    High up in Colorado
    You might not want to, but getting another chicken might help. I started out with an Australorp too, Rexie, and her brother, Teeter. Teeter had to go away to a farm, but we got another chicken instead. This has worked great so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by