Hens Missing Neck Feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jakesnake2323, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Jakesnake2323

Jakesnake2323 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2013
    Southern New Hampshire
    Hello,

I have 9 Rhode Island Reds and a rooster. I was in the run with them when I noticed that one of the hens was missing lots of its neck feathers. Once I saw this i examined the other 9 to find that 2 others also had this problem. I assume its from the rooster breeding. I was wondering if there was a way to prevent this. I REALLY don't want to kill the rooster because I need him for having fertilized eggs (I plan on selling chicks) Thanks for the help! [​IMG]

2. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    do they look like this?
    I have the same problem but I think the girls are the culprits in my case

[​IMG]

3. ProdigyMCluckin

ProdigyMCluckin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2014
    Houston Pasadena Texas
    LORD APPLE JESUS! Nava! What is WRONG with your chickens!!? XD My eyes!

4. ProdigyMCluckin

ProdigyMCluckin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2014
    Houston Pasadena Texas
    But in all seriousness, you can put the rooster away in a cage for some time till the hens heal.

5. Jakesnake2323

Nov 11, 2013
    Southern New Hampshire
    Thank you for your reply, and no my hens to do not have it quite that bad. The feathers aren't completely gone, just down to like a stump. I can upload a picture tomorrow, I cant now because they are roosting.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  6. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    I was just playing.

but mine have never had that problem, there I go again, no seriously, my hens are so lucky they have a gentle roos to breed them,
    the only problem I have had is when I neglect to trim my roos nails, they cut my hens right under the wing.

it was bad.

could it be that you got a young cockerel? some tent to be a bit rough but time will take care of that.

me personally I would not take him out, if the hen is cut pretty bad and needs treatment I would take her out until she heals.

7. Jakesnake2323

Nov 11, 2013
    Southern New Hampshire
    Yes this roo is only 8 months old so I guess hes a nooby! I'll keep an eye out if anything happens with the hens wings and maybe separate the hens from the rooster for alittle bit.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  8. Flybybirds

Flybybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    I had the same problem with my young Roo Easter Egger. The gals and guys on the forum told me to take the cockerel out and put him in a run beside the hens so at least they could see each other. I would let them roost together in my chicken coop since I have to keep them from predators. He never bothered them at night. In the morning I took him out to his run. He became gentle and if he showed signs of any aggression we nipped it in the bud right away. It all worked. He protects his ladies but is a gentleman. I also use that feather fixer food for mites and I think that has helped with growing their feathers back quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by