1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens mounting other hens???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ZooMummzy, Jan 25, 2011.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Really? What is up with this?

I have several hens - yes, they are hens, I've had them for years, watched them lay eggs, brood eggs, etc - mounting other hens. I have roosters so I'm not really sure what their problem is [​IMG] Anyone ever witness this and do you have any insight as to why all of a sudden they are doing this? I mean I really don't care what they do in their spare time but it's kinda odd. [​IMG]

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Just a form of domination- female dogs will do it too. It is kind of surprising when you first see it!!

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:Somtimes my RIR hen will do that. I thought it was odd but I also guessed it was just some way of showing dominance like Lesa said.

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    its normal. before we had our rooster, we had a rir hen that would do that. once our chick became a rooster the hen stopped doing that. kinda funny. the rooster dominated the flock now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by