Hens MUCH fatter than the roosters?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CobaltChick, Jul 28, 2013.

1. CobaltChick

CobaltChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    Hey guys, I culled four of my meat chickens today, and I noticed something strange immediately. However, I couldn't find any information about it online, so I decided to ask around. [​IMG]
    After all of the fun of plucking the chicken, I started to take out the guts. When I gutted the roosters, there was virtually no fat whatsoever. I mean it. Nothing. But when I got to a hen, all of a sudden I'm pulling out a massive amount of yellow fat. It was so strange... Has anyone else experienced that before? It's my first time culling a hen; I've only done cockerels previously so I'm curious on whether or not this is normal. They've all been raised the same way. Maybe they were just lazier -_-

2. CobaltChick

Jul 28, 2013
    No one knows? Hmm... I guess I'm lost.

3. Elke Beck

Elke Beck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Sunny So Cal
    Hens have fat reserves inside their bodies for when they are broody and are eating very little for about 21 days. Roosters will get fat reserves, but not as much.

4. CobaltChick

Jul 28, 2013
    Huh. I never knew that. However, this hen was most definitely not broody what-so-ever. She was less than twenty weeks old. I'm not sure why she had a good pound of fat inside of her... Thanks though [​IMG]

i

5. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Our CX pullets always have more fat on them that cockerals. It was more noticeable in the FR's though.

Pullets get fatty around their backsides especially by their pelvis.
    Cockerals get fatty along the tops of their thighs.

So now when I go to the grocer, I stand in front of the chicken display and know who was who! [​IMG]
    Ok, I did that once and creeped myself out....and now we don't have to buy chicken from the store anymore!

6. CobaltChick

Jul 28, 2013
    Ahh... Then I'm not alone. [​IMG] Thanks for helpin' me out [​IMG]

7. Elke Beck

Elke Beck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Sunny So Cal
    Think of it like young women getting fat reserves in the form of curves as they go through puberty. Although they do not have a baby, their bodies are preparing for it by storing energy and nutrients. Same with hens -- they don't have to ever have gone broody for their bodies to be prepared with fat reserves so they are ready to go without eating long enough to hatch eggs. If the hen was nearing the start of egg laying, she would also be preparing for sitting on a nest.

8. CobaltChick

Jul 28, 2013
    Ahhh.... Thanks for the help guys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by