hens nesting but no eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HandyHen, Jul 23, 2011.

1. HandyHen

HandyHen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    It's been hot, hot, hot here in Hotlanta, but my hens having been getting in their nesting boxes, sitting for a spell, and then no eggs.

I have just wormed them in the last week due to fecal cultures showing roundworms. Can anyone shed any light on this behavior? Not sure whether to be worried or not.
    Thanks in advance!

2. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    My Americauna does that sometimes, but we also had them checked for worms and they dont have any. It very well could be the heat.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Most likely it's the heat, there are a couple of mine that do that. One of my Barred Rocks stayed on the nest all day yesterday. Come to find out she has gone broody... grrrrrrr!

4. HandyHen

HandyHen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    That's what I was kind of thinking, too. I do have a Buff that's broody - we call her Grandma Crazy - quite the show she puts on.

Thanks for your feedback!

5. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    I don't mean to highjack this thread, can someone tell me what broody is exactly? I have a hen doing the same thing and I'm worried but she perks up, eats/drinks.. I have no roo do they still get broody? Here in DC with the heat index it was 121 yesterday and is about the same today. It's supposed be the last day tomorrow after a good storm we hope to get. Then RAIN, GLORIOUS RAIN!

Meantime?

6. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Broody is when they start to get ready to sit on fertile eggs until they hatch. I have an Australorp who waits until every other chicken lays their eggs (they all love the same nesting box) and then goes in and sits on them and lays hers. She can get snappy it I try to touch them, but I never let her sit on them for long since we don't have a roo either. We dont want her to get used to being broody, so I take the eggs as soon as I can.

7. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    How do I know if she's broody over some wooden eggs she's been sittin on or eggbound?

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:If she's broody, she will fluff up and squawk and scream at you, peck you. Just almost the opposite with an eggbound hen...lethargic, doesnt move around much, slacked off eating or wont eat, might squat trying to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by