Hens not being nice to a broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dani813, Nov 20, 2008.

1. dani813

dani813 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    My one little Antwerp Vera is a broody girl right now, and I've noticed that the other hens are being mean and picking on her. Is this normal behavior? [​IMG]

2. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Yes its normal....place a bottomless dog cage over her and supply food and water for her...I had the same problem...and this worked for me..and it helps protect the chicks once they hatch....until they learn to run !....good luck..

3. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    I was looking in an old farm book yesterday and found something that could help you. Trying it myself today. If I had a camera I would post pic but will try to describe it. It like a tent in shape.
    Take two boards or pieces of plywood, osb, whatever you can come up with that are wide enough to cover hen plus about eight inches x 30in. These will make a tent sides. For the back use a triangle. For the front use slats. Leave enough room to slide in pie tins at the bottom for food and water. Your broody will never have to get up and the other birds won't be able to get to her or her food.
    Good luck with your broody.

4. dani813

dani813 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    Thank you both for your comments!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by