Hens not eating as much--too hot?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mom22alcorns, Jun 21, 2011.

1. mom22alcorns

mom22alcorns Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Hey all [​IMG] My hens have not eaten nearly as much ever since I let them free range 2 days ago. It was the first time I was able to let them out of the run since I got them. They foraged all day and really seemed to have fun. SInce they have been back in the run, they have not finished their pan of crumbles yet. They used to go through 2 pans a day. It has also been very hot and humid, so I am wondering if they eat less when it is this hot? They hang in the shade and have lots of fresh cool water and are acting normally otherwise. Any ideas? [​IMG]

2. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    It sounds like they're sulking! 'We don't want stupid crumbles - we want the good stuff we know is out there!'. Mine definitely ignore their pellets if they think they're going to get something better! [​IMG]

The heat probably is a factor. Try mixing their crumbles with a little cold water or yoghurt to make it a bit more refreshing, and offering them some cold fruit.

3. mom22alcorns

May 29, 2011
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Quote:I think I would sulk too...[​IMG] I gave them some fresh peaches I couldn't use while canning and they loved them. They still had quite a bit of food when I checked them tonight to make sure everyone had gone into the coop for the night. I think :rolleyes:you are right though and they just got a taste of FRESH and want that instead. They love yogurt, so they will get some of that in the morning with some oatmeal mixed in and maybe they will forgive me for not letting them range until the weekends when I can keep an eye on them and my neighbors...[​IMG]

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Free ranging birds will normally eat less than they do penned. Also extreme heat can lessen the desire to eat. In real hot weather I add Poultry Drench to their water to lessen heat stress.

5. mom22alcorns

May 29, 2011
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Quote:Thanks for the info! What is Poultry Drench? Can I get it at my feed store? We use Feldman's here, the TSC is way out of town and is yucky. [​IMG]

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Poutry Nuti-Drench is made by Bovidr Laboratories and is a glucose solution that is fortified with vitamins A, B, D and E. It also contains phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, manganese, selenium, cobalt, zinc, iron, and iodine. It is very helpful for stressed birds and I add it to the water of all newly hatched birds.

7. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    If you're giving them yoghurt, try mixing it with their usual crumbles or pellets. They'll think its treat and gobble it right up, and that way you know they're getting the nutrients they should be [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by