Hens not eating as much...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Redangler, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Redangler

Redangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Bradenton, FL
    A few weeks ago I switch from a grower/developer feed to Layena on my flock of 10 hens and a rooster. They were right around 18 weeks. I have noticed a reduction in the amount of food being eaten by about 1/3 since making the switch. There is also alot less waste in the poop tray in the mornings. I haven't noticed less activity in the flock or any changes in body size so I am wondering if this is possible because they are digesting the Layena better than the previous feed. The previous feed was from our local feed store and it look like a locally produced brand. I am impressed with how much more consistent the Layena is compared to the previous feed. Any thoughts?

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    A lot of feeds have pro biotics added to help with digestion. Did you get the Purina coupon? Look for it in your email from BYC.

3. chickgrrl

chickgrrl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    I think they layer feed just fills them better - at least thats what seems to have happened with us. We went a couple of weeks over on the crumbles too just to get rid of it and then when we switched they seemed to eat less and lay eggs! These are my first chickens so I was completely sure they would choke on the bigger food but they did fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by