Hens not laying anymore - henopaus?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by my5hens, Apr 4, 2012.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Hey everyone!

I've noticed that my hens are not laying anymore. They are Rhode Island Reds and will turn 2 years in september, so not really old girls. But I'd say its been about a good month since I've gotten good eggs, only one is laying lately. I think they are too young for henopaus but I dont know why else they wouldnt be laying. Any ideas?

2. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

Henopaus LOL. Could they be laying someplace you cant find the eggs? I had a EE fly over coop that was 7ft high lay her eggs in a secret spot. I had wondered why she wasn't giving me anymore eggs till I caught her with her hoarded egg pile.

3. thomaschickens

thomaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    [​IMG] Henopaus!!!! Now that's cute!!! Could they be molting? A few of my girls starting molting recently and my egg production significantly declined.

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    :yuckyuck Funny.
    Our chickens actually stopped laying when they were two years old, but they were sex links, and they tend to burn out faster than other breeds. If your hen is not going through henopaus :)lol:) it may be a sign of molting, which puts the hens out of service for a couple of months or more. Sometimes it's not even that obvious, we found a lot of feathers around the chicken coop but the chickens themselves looked perfectly normal. :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by