Hens not laying at 7 months

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kevomxracer, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Kevomxracer

Kevomxracer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2012
    CT
    As you may know from my other threads I have 2 feather-footed Cochins bantams, RIR, White leghorn. I got all the birds above except the feather-footed in October at 3 months old and They are now 7 months old, and they still aren't laying. Is it because it is winter, and they just hit the age they should be laying. Also is it because they don't have enough day light? There's about 10hrs of light per day here in CT. Any ideas? My white leghorns comb and waddles are starting to get nice and red, and I know that's a possible sign she'll be laying soon.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Yes the day light has a huge impact on laying. You could use a light but it sounds like they will start soon. Another sign is squatting when you get near them.

3. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Our RIR laiid on the same day at 17 week the Buffs following soon after but we have a Wellsummer hen that is 10 months old and hasn't laid. Her comb has been bright red since August and she had giant waddles. We decided not to supplement light so gave up hope of an egg during the winter, but I notice that her comb which was small, seems to be growing now. .. fingers crossed.

Let us know when your ladies start laying!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Our wellsummer started to lay last week. her very first egg was to big to fit into the carton so it was worth the 36 week wait!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by