Hens not laying eggs.

planewhisperer

In the Brooder
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 23, 2013
Hello everyone. I recently purchased two Barred Plymoth Rocks that are about 10 months old. Does it take a few weeks for them to get use to their new home before they start laying eggs. My rooster has been matting with one hen, atleast that is the only one I have seen anyway. Dont that mean the hen is capable of laying? All the help would be appreciated.

hi , mine took about 4 weeks before she lay an eggs when i got her , mine was about 3 years old . she had just had her moult so think the 2 reasons made her not lay for the 4 weeks . since then ive had a egg for 6 out of 7 days ever since . my roo did mate with her round about the time so i dont think yours will be long . does your hen crouch down when you are near ? i find mine lay soon after they start to do this action
big_smile.png
. ive only had chickens a year but im sure someone on here will help more

At 10 months they should be yaying but they maybe stressed and need to get used of their new home. Also if it is very cold they may hold off for warmer weather. As for the mating going on I dont believe it matters. My Roos been after my 40 plus white rock & bard rock hens which are now 5 months old but no eggs yet just too cold here but soon.

Thanks, I live in South Alabama about two miles from the Florida line and it does not get cold here. Thank GOD..........Cause we hate the cold. New to BYC and having chickens. I was around them all the time when I was a kid. Thanks for the information. And stay warm.

Back
Top Bottom