Hens not Laying in the nesting box!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenKeep01, Jul 6, 2016.

1. ChickenKeep01

ChickenKeep01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    My hens are all laying but i only found that out yesterday when i caught one laying outside the nesting box and near the porch i know its not the first time shes done it because my dog has had eggs in her mouth sometimes i thought she was grabbing them from the coop and we had stopped her but the hen was laying near the porch which is about 50 metres away from the coop

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    That can be a problem with free range hens. Do you have a big enough coop that you can lock them in for a few days? That's what I do when I have to "reset" them to laying in the coop. But I have an attached run, too, so that helps.

3. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    My hens are in reset mode right now. I have been getting 2-3 eggs a day from a dozen hens. I'm sure I have a nest somewhere in the yard with tons of eggs in it. Now that my pullets will be coming into lay, I am limiting their free range time to keep better track of the eggs.

4. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    i have a big coop attached to a bid run its probably 30 square metres. so if i just lock them in there for 2 or 3 days they will start laying in the nesting boxes

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, and it will help if you put some fake eggs/golf balls in some of the nests.
    They may still lay elsewhere, but it's good start.

6. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by