HENS NOT LAYING NOW

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HOTONE, Oct 15, 2012.

1. HOTONE

HOTONE Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Peachland North Carolina
    My landlord keeps his chickens here in the coop and i was told I was overfeeding them...yeah right. I was told that he will take care of them....another yeah right. Went back to the coop and gave the chickens food and they acted like they were starving and of course there was no water. Anyway since the chickens havent been fed their everyday laying pellets I have noticed that they arent laying. Now I dont know if it is normal now that fall is here and they really slow down or is it from the not being fed everyday. Since they arent my chickens I dont want to see them starved and I am the one footing the feed bill and taking time to care of them. My question is about the laying ....thank you guys!!!

2. Lorilyn Farms

Lorilyn Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2012
    Rogue River, Oregon
    Mine haven't been laying for about a month now. It's molting season and some birds don't lay in cooler weather.

3. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    First off if these are your landlords chickens shouldn't he/she be footing the bill? Also, when they do lay eggs are the eggs going to you or landlord? If you are having to foot the bill for feeding you should be getting the eggs, IMHO.

Next it is that time of year that chickens molt. If you are seeing feathers all over the place they are probably molting and during a molt they will not lay eggs as they are taking all that energy to grow their feathers back. You could have a quick molt lasting 6-8 weeks. Where a long molt could be 10-12 weeks. If they aren't being fed everyday and they are starving they could be stressed from that. And stress will cause them to not lay.

Hope this info helps.

4. HOTONE

HOTONE Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Peachland North Carolina
    If I waited for the landlord to foot the bill the chickens would be dead. We usually get the eggs but he does get them once in awhile and my daughter in law who is best friends with him gives them to him and his friends. She doesnt pay a dime either toward food

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by