1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens not Laying (stress related) - Need Advice...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickPooh, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ChickPooh

ChickPooh Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    I made some major changes in the last 2 months: expanded some pens, added 2 more, got bigger coops, replaced some older hens with younger ones, and replaced some roosters.

I know chickens are creatures of habits and don't do well with changes and stress.

In one pen, they are not molting, but they quit laying 100% and haven't laid anything for one month now.

Is that normal? How long does it take for them to start laying again? Any tips on how to help them go back to normal?

Thanks!

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes, it's normal for them to stop laying for a while after change.

What else changed, besides what you mentioned? Light, for instance? Diet?

It's also possible you threw them into a light moult. Often, you can't even see the difference unless you pick up a bird and feel for pin feathers.

There's nothing you can do to make them lay again other than wait. I feel your pain. I separated a breeding group out and put them into a separate pen, and they're not laying either. Bad for a breeding group!

3. ChickPooh

Oct 6, 2013
    Thanks for your reply.

I think I said everything I did... Gave them a bigger and better place, but got more hens. They are part of my breeding program, and my orders are all pilling up!

Today I'll buy them Flock Block. They love it and I hope they will take my bribe as a comfort food! :)

I'm going this will end at week # 6 or 7... Is that the average time for them to start laying again?

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Honestly, I would have thought they'd have started back up already. It's unusual for them to go this long.

I'm sorry, I'm at a loss on this one.

5. ChickPooh

Oct 6, 2013
    They started laying one day after your reply. It has been a slow start but I know it's normal.

The Flock Block worked like a charm... ;)

Thanks anyway!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by