1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens not laying...UPDATED NOW WITH PROBLEM NEED ANSWER ASAP. Pic Pg 2

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Teresaann24, May 14, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My girls have been laying regular I count on eggs everyday to every other day. My 2 white hens have not laid in 2 days...and if they do not lay today it will be 3 days since they have laid. Noone is acting different...Same eating and drinking and happy hens but no eggs. Is somthing wrong or is this normal for silkies?

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:You said it all in one word - SILKIES! They are fickle.

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    LOL, I know silkies are not the best egg layers but I have been surprised in how well mine were laying and then to just stop for the past 2 days? I just found it to be odd..LOL Day is almost over and still no eggs again today....!!

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I went down just a bit ago to check for eggs in my pen with my white hens who have not laid in 2 days there was a egg but there was a problem...THE EGG HAD NO SHELL! IT WAS A PERFECT EGG! BUT NO SHELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHATS WRONG???????????????

5. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    That happens occassionally in all chickens. I wouldn't worry about it too bad unless it happens alot. Maybe they need more calcium, just try giving them some oyster shell. What are you feeding them by the way?

6. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    They eat a mix grain scratch and layer mash. I boiled some eggs tonight and peeled off the shells and crushed them up and feed them to them. I offer them free will of grit to help digest there food and have not offered them oyster shells before but do feed them boiled egg shells a few times a week. This is the 1st time I have gotten an egg like that.

7. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Egg shell is probably enough. It's probably just a fluke, and like I said, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it happens regularly.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  8. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Thanks for the advice farm!

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I think everyone who raises chickens has either gotten a shell-less egg or soft shell. I give my girls free choice oyster shells.

10. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I've actually had a hen lay an egg like your describing, with no shell...and then lay just the shell. It's a freakshow, I know, but they can't be perfect ALL THE TIME!!! Close...but not quite. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by