hens not laying - what to do?? (newbie)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BrambleCreekFarm, May 17, 2008.

1. BrambleCreekFarm

BrambleCreekFarm Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    Concord GA
    hi all
    we bought our first set of buff orpingtons chicks (32 chicks 2wks old) 5weeks ago and also got two 1 yr old hens at the same time. The lady we bought them from said they were moulting but should still lay just not as much. 5 weeks later there are still no signs of eggs! I've read that some breeds stop laying altogether and others just slow production. but after 5 wks shouldnt they be laying? they are on a layer feed. and would adding a rooster encourage them to lay?
    they still look alittle fluffy just before their tail (saddle area?) but otherwise they have nice smooth feathers everywhere.

2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Usually they lay at six months.
    Also, golf balls int he nest work!

3. BrambleCreekFarm

BrambleCreekFarm Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    Concord GA
    Hi Banter
    thanks for the reply. the hens are a year old. I've read that golf balls help them to learn where to lay but never that it would start them laying, but its worth a try! Thanks!

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    BrambleCreek they may just be adjusting to their new setting my new hens just started to lay a few days ago and I added them to my flock a month ago ! I have found golf balls work to an extent.

Good Luck with all your new chickens!

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by