Hens not laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by desdemona, Nov 19, 2008.

1. desdemona

desdemona New Egg

Aug 12, 2008
    I'm sure this has been asked before, so apologies in advance. I got four pullets (2 Araucanas, 1 Austrlorp, 1 Wyandotte) this past summer. The farmer told me they were born in April. Thus far (mid-November) only the Australorp is laying. I understand that sometimes Araucanas mature late, but isn't this going a bit long (particularly for the Wyandotte)? They have a clean, dry, and warm house and free-range much of the day--and I have looked in the tiny backyard for eggs; there are none. They also have a low level lamp on a timer that kicks on around 4:00am. Happier hens I have never seen; they just aren't laying! What gives?

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Hens will lay when they feel like it. I have a couple that were also hatched in April and still no eggs. Just give them time.

3. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    It's true they will only lay when they are ready...I have an Ameraucana/EE hatched the 20th of March...... [​IMG] ......that's right no eggs. Our Barred Rocks and our Australorps are just coming into laying age now but I'm not gonna get excited about it. LOL In the spring I m sure I'll get some beautiful eggs. [​IMG]

4. desdemona

desdemona New Egg

Aug 12, 2008
    [​IMG] So, basically, I just need to mellow out about when the girls will lay? Okay, okay, I shall become mellow. But as a first-time "farmer," the wait is killing me!

5. katrinag

We all know how you feel.

6. bearcat73

bearcat73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    I am also not-so-patiently waiting for my EE to start laying. She was hatched on May 11. I can't wait to see what color her eggs are gonna be!!

But I guess it's like humans...some girls start their period at 10, some at 12, some at 14, etc.

7. QBRanch

QBRanch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    Colorado
    I know the feeling. I bought a 1 1/2 yo RIR hen in July and yet no egg. Hubby made sure we got this certain hen. He said there is something about her he likes. And well I asked him the other day could that something be that she don't lay eggs??? LOL I did catch and Johnny the rooster dating soooooooo ::crossing fingers:: there might be something!
    Tho, there was a huge accident here in October with all the hens. This hen, another hen and a baby were the only ones that survived. She had damage to the neck but she is now growing it all back and lookin better!

8. katrinag

Roo mating a hen will not proudce eggs. It only a sign that she is close to laying. Not sure if that is what you ment.

9. QBRanch

QBRanch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    Colorado
    LOL yes that is, sorry it didn't sound right.. It sounded so much better in my head! LOL

10. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yes, that is all true she will lay when she wants to. Once there was a chicken that didn't lay for over a year. So just be patient.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by