Hens Not Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MaggsP, Jun 16, 2016.

1. MaggsP

MaggsP New Egg

Apr 14, 2016
    I now have two hens who were laying regularly - nearly every day for about 21 months - we got them in August 2014 when they were 20 weeks old. They have laid through 2 winters in all weathers, and even when they moulted last winter they continued to la.However, they stopped laying about 2 weeks ago - they are a Silverlink and a Redco. Does anybody know whether they are likely to start laying again - i.e. they are just having a rest or doe you think they have stopped altogether like my Leghorn Dora who has only laid one egg this year. They are all healthy chickens - they eat well, have no mites, and our other three chickens are still laying OK. My husband says if they stop laying eventually they will have to go. But I am not sure I would agree to that. I feel I owe them something as they have been such good layers. Your views/suggestions/help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Maggie

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So they are 4 years old? The best years of laying for most hens is through their second year. By the 3rd year the eggs can start to slow down and each year after, the egg laying does taper off. Not to say that a 5 or 6 year old hen can't or won't lay, but she may not lay often.

So it is possible that your hens may be out of eggs or they are at that slowing down phase. But there are other reasons a hen can stop laying from and over load of worms or some other illness which drains the hens dry, too much stress in and around the coop, not enough nutrients or water, chickens can eat them, predators can eat them too, the birds can have some secret nest out in the field somewhere. You might take a look at this article on "Why my chickens are not laying" and maybe it will help you get down to the bottom of this...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers

Good luck and I hope you can figure this out soon!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  3. MaggsP

MaggsP New Egg

Apr 14, 2016
    They are actually only just over 2 years old and seem to be heathy otherwise. They certainly do not seem to be stressed. There are only 6 hens and they have plenty of space and get on well.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh, sorry I mis read that. :)

Has it suddenly gotten hot at your place? Over heating when the birds aren't used to it can cause the eggs to clamp off. They should however, return to laying once they get used to the increased temperature. Just over heating itself will cause them to stop. Eggs contain a LOT of water and they may need the liquid to keep their bodies cool instead of going into egg production.

I would definitely read through that thread on the reasons why they can stop laying and see if anything fits the bill here. :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! You have some great advice from TwoCrows so I will wish you the very best of luck for the future.

Enjoy your time here on BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I am not familiar with the breeds you mentioned - if they are high production birds they often burn out early - and need to be replaced every 2 years or so.

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

A lot of good and different ideas as to why here. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by