1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lizounette, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Lizounette

Lizounette New Egg

Oct 26, 2009
    Hi, everyone!

So we got our hens from our neighbor. They were keeping about ten hens, but then decided to cut back their flock and offered us a few hens. They gave us three. Two they had gotten as pullets, and they said they began laying after labor day. The other was older, and a known good layer.

They put them in our newly built coop three weeks ago. We left them in the coop/run for the first week without letting them out. Then we let them out a few days. Now we've gotten them into the schedule of being let out when I get home from work around 4pm until they go back in their roost near 7pm.

We still haven't seen any eggs. Are they traumatized by the move? Do any of you have any suggestions?

2. josh1505

josh1505 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2009
    I too am having the same situation... Does anyone have thoughts?

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I don't know where either of you are, but this is the time of the year that chickens molt, and the days are getting shorter. Both can effect egg laying. Also stress of a new environment.
    Not much you can do if they are molting,
    You could add supplemental light to at least 14 hours a day if you want.

Good luck

Imp

4. josh1505

Sep 28, 2009
    How long do chickens molt?

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I'm in the same spot with the new hens I acquired over this past month. None of them are laying...a few are molting...but mostly just not doing anything. They seem fine...eating, drinking and acting normal...so I'm just going to wait it out.

6. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    I'm in the same boat. All my "last years" hens have stopped laying. The only eggs I'm getting are from "this years" Orpington hen. I do have a rooster now (was supposed to be another Orpington hen) so would him trying to mate the hens add to their stress? They are moulting so I guess that could be it. How frustrating when you put food in and no eggs come out [​IMG]

7. richje100

richje100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    UK, Wales
    ive got 7 hens & was regularly getting 6-7 eggs a day. now its starting getting colder, darker & they are moulting, im lucky to get 3 a day. i supose as long as they look healthy, bright coloured combs/wattles & they are alert running around with their head up, i dont think you have anything to worry about. Ive only been keeping hens about 6mths but learnt alot off these forums. everyone here are happy to help

8. josh1505

Sep 28, 2009
    How long does molting typically last? Days, Weeks, months???

9. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Join the NO EGG club! [​IMG]
    My six hens are giving me NOTHING right now. Well, one older one is the only one squatting and laying every other day or so...The 8 month olds appear to be going through a mini-molt and not even squatting. One is going through a full blown molt. It has turned rainy and dark here, so I can't blame them too much, perhaps I will have to rethink this supplemental light issue.
    My husband BOUGHT eggs yesterday, arggggh! Battery hen eggs..he said the organic ones had some poop on them!

10. blurose

blurose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Winston, Oregon
    I'm pretty sure that the three most common reasons they stop laying is #1 moulting, nothing to be done about that except feeding extra protein like dry cat food could help the feathers develop faster; #2 shorter days, provide 14 hours of light everyday (This must have been done their first winter or it won't work now. If your birds haven't layed eggs through the winter before, they never will); and #3 new surroundings, it can take them a few weeks to get over the trauma of being moved to a new home. Hope this helps you some. [​IMG]

Oh, about how long it takes to moult....my hens would start the middle of October and not finish until just before Christmas. I'm not sure if this is "normal" or not. I've often asked them why they pick the start of the coldest part of the year to get naked [​IMG] but they're keeping the secret to themselves. Silly girls [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by