Hens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stevo, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Stevo

Stevo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    I have 19 EE hens. 1 has been laying an egg a day for 3 weeks but I haven't gotten an egg from any of the others. They are all the same age. She lays a green egg everyday. I had 1 blue egg one time when she first started laying and I thought it was from a different hen but havent seen another. I have thought about leaving the one egg in the nest to maybe intise the others to start laying. But I dont know if this will work or not. What should I do?

I was thinking of putting up some Kentucky Fried Chicken posters in the coop. LOL. I know that would make me start laying.

Anyone have any tricks they use to get them to lay or do I just need to be patient and wait it out?

Steve

2. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    19 weeks is pretty young. Be patient grasshopper! They'll be laying before you know it [​IMG]

eta: guess I hallucinated the 19 weeks part, LOL..........this weather has my girls not laying well, plus I tend to have late bloomers anyways.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Quote:

4. Stevo

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    I got them as day olds from Agway the week after Easter. I just figured when one started laying the others wouldn't be far behind. I have checked there usual haunts around the farm for eggs but havent found any. This was my concern. I was hoping they weren't laying somewere else.

5. Stevo

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    Yes they freerange during the day and the coop is very secure.

6. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Hi Steve. Do you know which 1 is laying? Does 1 bird look more mature then the rest? There is a big difference in the look of my pullet that is laying then the other 2.

7. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    I wouldn't worry yet. My first EE didn't start laying until 21 weeks and the others followed in the weeks after that. Because you are dealing with "mutt" birds (birds of mixed parentage) you just never know exactly what genetics you have. Your first just happened to be an early layer. If you still don't have more eggs at 24 weeks or so... then I'd start wondering... but still, some hens don't start until 28 weeks or later. You just have to exercise patience. There's nothing you can do to speed this up!!

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:No, some just start super early!! I have 27 pullets between 22 & 26 weeks old. I also have 17 hens that's been laying. I have only been getting an average of 21 - 25 eggs a day!!

Missi

9. Stevo

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    Thanks for all the replies. Yes I know which one is laying. I let them out every morning around 7am and she will return to the coop around 9am to lay. Guess she is shy lol. She looks no different then the others except maybe for being the whitest hen I have. I will exercise patients. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Thanks again
    Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by