1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens Not Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Napu, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Napu

Napu New Egg

Aug 21, 2011
    Aloha,
    I need advice please. Only 1 out of my 8 hens is laying. She will lay daily in 1 of 4 nest boxes inside the coop. The rest of my hens will go under the house but they ARE NOT laying, just sitting/resting. I live in Hawaii so no extreme temps here; got lots of sunlight, and I have them on layer pellets 2X/day a.m. & p.m, 1 waterer outside the coop and 1 inside, the rest of the day they free range in my yard (no predators here i.e. hawks, foxes, wolves). What am I not doing right? Napu

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Your probably not doing anything wrong!! First how old are they?? Has their been any major changes in their lives?? Are they by any chance going through moult??

ETA: [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  3. Napu

Napu New Egg

Aug 21, 2011
    My hens are 6 1/2 mos. Nothing new going on for them, same coop, I put nest boxes in at/around 5 mos., same feed.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Have you checked the rest of your yard for nests? They don't really know to lay in the boxes, mine are always laying in bushes or other hidey holes they find. Are their combs red yet, indicating they're mature enough to lay? What breeds are they?

5. Napu

Napu New Egg

Aug 21, 2011
    Thank you for your comments - I've been trying to observe my hens for at least the entire morning to see if they might be laying in the yard somewhere, so far nothing. And, when I get home from work 5pm or so I do another check of the yard and fenceline, nothing yet. Yes, all my hens combs are red - I have white legrens (sp?), wyndottes, and americaunas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by