hens not laying

shmeggs

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 24, 2013
one of my coops I have 7 white leghorn mix hens about year and half old. had the about 3 months , I was getting 6 or 7 eggs a day but now im only getting 1 or2 eggs a day.

one of my coops I have 7 white leghorn mix hens about year and half old. had the about 3 months , I was getting 6 or 7 eggs a day but now im only getting 1 or2 eggs a day.
Same thing is happening here, the hens have slowed way down and I dont get it. Where do you live? It has been real hot here but I did not think that would do it. I dont think they are all molting either. They laid all through the winter, I thought that is when they slow down.
Marie

Hens usually start to slow down at about 2 years old. One possible explanation may be sunlight. As fall approaches and sunlight decreases, hens start to lay less. If there are feathers missing, they may be molting. Right now most of my hens are molting and their egg production is down from 9 eggs to about 2 or 3.

I live in Arizona and my 2 Bufff Orpingtons are 23 weeks old and not laying yet. Is it due to the heat? In their pen I have a 6' long mister and 2 box fans going. My first chickens so any help would be very kind

Back
Top Bottom