1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens not producing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by longranger, May 5, 2009.

1. longranger

longranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    laguna hills CA
    I purchased 3 "young adult" laying hens from a very well thought of Maran breeder. Paid top dollar too. All 3 are happy and healthy but so far only one is really giving eggs-- at a rate of about 1 every other day. The others give maybe one a week. My suspicion is that they are way past their prime. In retrospect this breeder did react badly when I asked if she uses her extra roos and old hens as food. She apparently just keeps them or MAYBE gives them to relatively inexperienced eggers like me:/. How long should I give the unproductive girls before they visit me for dinner? Is it even worth calling the person who sold these to me?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It seems to me if she's a bonafide breeder she should be able to give you an age on your girls.
    I would call and ask about their age.

3. longranger

Apr 23, 2009
    laguna hills CA
    Just tried to call her. Number is no longer in service [​IMG]. At least they are nice and plump. I will give them a couple more weeks and if they don't pick up the pace oh well.

By the way if good productive Marans are particularly likely to stop laying for a few weeks with a change of address someone please let me know. These were sold as 12 month old hens give or take a month or two.

4. highwindsfarm

highwindsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    I can't speak directly to Marans, but when I bought 2 "young adult" hens, one started laying after 1 week and the other started molting after 1 week and was not productive for quite awhile. She came back to be a 5 egg a week girl so I can't complain.

5. longranger

Apr 23, 2009
    laguna hills CA
    A molt is a definite possibility. I got in contact with the seller by email and the ages were verified. They were very courteous, professional and helpful. My chicken IQ has a ways to go so this is a learning experience. Thankfully my standard laying hens are keeping me and my family amused and well supplied with nice big light brown eggs.

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Was there any change in the feed used? I'm wondering if your hens are adjusting to a calcium difference.[​IMG]

7. longranger

Apr 23, 2009
    laguna hills CA
    They were receiving "premium" laying mash before I got them. Not sure what band. I am now giving them the standard laying mash sold at our local feed and tack supplemented generously by greens and veggies. Have a big garden so they can get all the weeds, damaged veggies and veggie greens. Also give them a flake of alfalfa hay once a week. Enjoy spoiling them.

8. ashley12

ashley12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    Kentucky
    You're not alone. It's been a week for my new hens and still no eggs. I'm starting to get frustrated, but all the nice people on this website keep telling me to just give it more time.

9. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    I bought a hen in mid-March and the guy swore that she laid every day. Up until about the last two weeks, she would only lay *maybe* three eggs a week. Now, she's been laying every day!

My vote is on just giving them time to get back into a habit and they may start laying more again. I'd say at least 6 weeks and this is only from my experience. [​IMG]

Good Luck!

BTW you maybe could hatch what they're laying if they just recently came away from a rooster! [​IMG]

(That's what I did from my hen and actually got 2 of 'em to hatch!)

10. tuffy

tuffy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    oops wrong spot

Last edited: May 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by