Hens not setting on their eggs...?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mlwtbzj, Jan 18, 2010.

1. mlwtbzj

mlwtbzj Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Baldwin, Ga
    I have two Silkie hens that are laying eggs but will NOT set on them. I have left them in the pen hoping that they would get the hint, but so far nothing. Does anyone have any advice as to what I could do to get them to set on their eggs?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They're silkies. Chances are really good that the setting (broody) bug will hit them sooner or later. There's nothing you can do, no trick, that is going to make a hen sit until she's ready. Believe me, I've tried every trick in the book. [​IMG]

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    The best advice I can give you is to go out and buy a $250.00 incubator and get all set up to hatch them yourself. They will go broody the next day. Gaurunteed!!

4. mlwtbzj

Jan 11, 2010
    Baldwin, Ga
    Thanks for the advice! I kinda thought there was nothing I could do, but I thought I would ask anyway. I don't think I'm gonna go out and spend $250 on an incubator, but I will go to The Tractor Supply and spend $45 on the one they have. Thanks again!

5. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    They probably will not go broody till the end of Feb or early March. That is when it will warm up enough to trigger wanting to hatch. Spring makes many go broody and not many will do it earlier or later.

6. greathorse

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I think the magic number is 250, not sure the TSC one will do the Trick LOL.

Good luck

7. mlwtbzj

Jan 11, 2010
    Baldwin, Ga
    Quote:The magic number may be 250, but my husband would die if I spent that much on a incubator and I have a few friends that have gotton their incubators at TSC and they have done great for them hatching chicken and duck eggs. I don't get enough eggs for a big incubator anyway. I'm sure the small one's I have seen will do just fine.

8. greathorse

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I was only teasing you about how to get your hens to go broody.. I was not offering an opinion on how much you should spend on a bator. Many people have hatched a lot of chicks out of the ones you get at TSC.

Sorry

9. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    Hi all I was wondering the same thing. So since there is nothing I can do to incurage them to sit. MY QUESTION IS.... How will I know if she wants to go broody, if I am picking up eggs everyday?

10. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    she wont let you get the eggs if she is broody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by