Hens of egg laying age

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by danielphammond, Jun 3, 2008.

1. danielphammond

danielphammond New Egg

Jun 2, 2008
    I am looking for two hens to keep in my back yard. This is my first time keeping hens, so any words of advice would also be welcome. I live in Radford, VA but am willing to travel about 2 hours to get hens.
    Thanks
    Daniel

2. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    I live about 3 hours from you. I don't have any for sale right now, but I sometimes buy from a guy who usually has laying hens for $5-$10 each. If you can't find any anywhere else, let me know.

3. lisabug

lisabug Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2008
    Portersville, PA
    Hey! Danville, Virginia is about 2.5 hours from Radford area. You should try the SWAP meet on June 28th. I bet there will probably be hens there (I think they might post a list of the things coming beforehand to be sure).

You might want to consider that. Also, I saw some not long ago on Craigslist Roanoke...you might want to check there as well- though I can't vouch for quality at all....

4. danielphammond

danielphammond New Egg

Jun 2, 2008
    Thank you, I'll check that out!

5. Chickfever

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    I found this ad:

Large Stock Laying hens laying now, brown egg layers, Rhode Island Reds, Domineckers, & others hens are $15 ea, roosters $10 ea

Location is Blacksburg. If you want the number, pm me and I'll send it your way.

6. danielphammond

danielphammond New Egg

Jun 2, 2008
    I would love the number for that, Blacksburg is only about 10 minutes from us, so that would be great. You might think I'm being silly, , but what does "pm me" mean? I'm new at this whole message board thing. ANd where did you find that ad?

7. jdypat

jdypat Chillin' With My Peeps

Personal Message... click on Messages on the top blue line, where it says Index, user list, rules, search etccc....

8. Chickfever

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    Quote:I just sent the info to you. Good luck [​IMG].

Oh, and no, I don't think you are silly, I was new once too [​IMG].

9. danielphammond

danielphammond New Egg

Jun 2, 2008
    SO I called the number, and I told that guy that I didn't want to get the hens till the first week in July, and he said "well just call be back then good bye" click and he hung up on me. Now I new to this whole chicken game, and what I want to know is, did I stumble upon some chicken faux pas that I didn't know about. I suppose it makes sense that I should wait till I actually need them to call, but I don't think it warranted that harsh of a response. Though, I could be wrong...

10. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    you did nothing wrong but as a fellow breeder you learn real quick that is the number one excuse and we never hear back. He could have been alittle less rude about it though.

Brandon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by