Hen's old leg injury...Is it fixable?

victoria1258

Hatching
Jan 21, 2017
About 2 months ago my dad's chicken was attacked by a dog, leaving her to only hobble on one foot. She has since been kept in a kennel in isolation with 4 sides covered and a heat lamp in the back. She has fresh food and water daily, and her leg isn't any better. Obviously, she cannot be let out because the other chickens will attack her.
I just recently realized nothing's changed, and no one is making an effort to make her any better. I feel really bad for this chicken. I'm not a chicken person, so I have no idea what to do.
She keeps her injured leg up towards her body. Her foot will still grab onto my fingers if I put them underneath it, but I felt around and the part of the leg covered in feathers feels a lot thinner than the one she wobbles on.

Has the muscle deteriorated? Is a splint useless at this point? If not, what splint advice does anyone have?
I want to help the poor thing, but I don't know if it's been too long since the injury.
sad.png

Welcome to BYC!

Can you take her to vet?A avian vet will be needed to treat any-type of a leg injury.If you cant i would recommend giving her baby aspirin(81mg) everyday to reduce inflammation .

Last edited:
Probably not. Around how much would that cost?

Also, I don't believe there is any inflammation - especially considering the injury was 2 months ago?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom