Hens on strike?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smith76, Aug 23, 2013.

1. smith76

smith76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Got 4 austrolrps and 1 silkie hen that produce eggs daily since spring began, then one day one went broody and I used her in another pen to hatch eggs. My other hens quit laying and another went broody sitting on nothing. I have since added the brood hen back and got the broodiness to stop, but if Im lucky I might get 1 or 2 eggs a week. I also recently added an easter egger rooster just to see what would happen. I have not had eggs now for over 2 months. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    I had the same thing happen when a hen went broody, but as soon as I moved her the other hens started laying again. Do they free range at all, could they be laying elsewhere? I have found a makeshift nest in the wood line with 16 eggs!! Here I was thinking their egg production was down because of the heat!

3. smith76

Jun 21, 2013
    They dont get to free range due to the foxes in the area, but they have a run.

4. smith76

Jun 21, 2013
    Still no eggs. Not even a single here or there. Been almost three months since they quit laying. Cant figure this one out. Any help?

5. smith76

Jun 21, 2013
    No one? Dont have much luck getting advice on these forums but I guess most people in the BYC raise chickens as pets and have very little knowledge of raising their own food or animal husbandry. City people think chickens are people too.

6. smith76

Jun 21, 2013
    Really

7. smith76

Jun 21, 2013
    If I posted that my poor baby chicken got chewed up by a racoon you people would post all night.

8. coffeychicks

coffeychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    Have they been wormed I read that can cause a decrease. Also is it possible you have an egg eater

9. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    What type of climate/temps are you experiencing? We were averaging 8 to 9 eggs per day from 9 laying hens (7 standard, 2 bantams). When the extreme heat kicked in (over 100 every day) the second week of August, the production dropped significantly. One bantam hen went broody about that time, and subsequently the other bantam stopped laying as well. One hen was about to begin molting, and she ceased. The heat has been the thing that really stands out here. -only got three eggs today. If you aren't getting any, I would definitely consider the possiblity of worms or someone/something eating the eggs. There should be some type of evidence (piece of a shell or egg residue in the nest box/coop) if eggs are being consumed by a chicken/chickens.

10. smith76

Jun 21, 2013
    Egg laying ceased before hot temps. I have since had a couple go broody and several have molted. No evidence o f eggs being eaten. Never had this problem before. Have not considered worms but have checked for other parasites. None were present though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by