Hens or a Roo ???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by awillard, Nov 23, 2013.

1. awillard

awillard Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2013
    Our babies are now 7 weeks old. We have 5 Rhode Island Reds and 1 silver laced wyandotte (black one). We are trying to guess how many hens and how many roosters we might have. I think our luck is turning out to be only one hen out of them all. I have a few pictures but will get better ones later today of them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

All looking pretty girly to me at this point. I am not as familiar with SLW's but my RIR roo's are always pretty obvious by the time they are 4 or 5 weeks old with a much larger and pinker comb then the girls.

3. awillard

Oct 28, 2013
    I am hoping they are all hen's I am okay with a couple rooster's as well. Looking at everyone's pictures on other post about the waddles and everything. We are not seeing them on any of them at this stage. They turned 7 weeks old yesterday (Friday).

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Were they sexed pullets? I'm not seeing anything screaming rooster at this point, and reds usually aren't shy about announcing their manliness pretty early.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    None of them really look like roosters to me.

6. awillard

Oct 28, 2013
    They were all sexed as pullets but they also told me when we got them at the local feed store that we could end up with a rooster or two. But looking at them they all have started the cones but nothing else.

7. awillard

Oct 28, 2013
    On another note I have three of the reds that are darker than the other two reds. Does that mean anything?

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Nope. That's very common with hatchery birds. Enjoy your girls!

9. No reason for me to think they aren't hens. It still may be slightly too soon to tell, but they look like girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by