Hens or Roos Barnevelders

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by peach, Aug 15, 2010.

1. peach

peach Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2009
    6 months old. I need to know if the 3 in the middle with the larger combs are hens or roos? I think they are roos....[​IMG] [​IMG] In the other pic, I know the one on the left is a hen but the other two?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    It is kind of hard to see the picture, but at 6 months a rooster would be crowing.

3. peach

peach Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2009
    Thanks for your help, I cant see them crow but I hear someone! Here is another pic[​IMG] I know this guy is a rooster

4. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

I see two roos and one hen in the second picture. With barnevelders the dark ones are roos and the ones with the lacing are hens.

Edited to add:
    The second picture showing the single roo isn't a Barnevelder (or is a mix). If you live in Europe, I guess it could be a blue laced Barnevelder.

I sold a BLR wyandotte x Barnevelder cockerel that could of been your roo's twin early this spring. LOL
    [​IMG]

5. peach

peach Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2009
    Thanks so much! HUGE help...

6. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Yep, 3 roos. Sorry.

7. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    that one is a roo.

8. peach

peach Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2009
    The roo in the last pic is what got me so confused! It came with the barnie chics and I knew early on it was rooster but thought how weird the others that look like roos dont look like him.... mass confusion. Gotta luv straight run purchases. This has been a huge help. The blue/roo has got to be a cross. He is very pretty I wish I could have a roo I would keep him. So the others that are dark with large combs are roos too. Problem solved, with all your help. So kind, I knew I could count on the nice people here.

9. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Yup three roos.

I got three more barnie roos if you want them! lol Just kidding. Worth a shot.

10. peach

peach Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2009
    Well you just gotta! Off to the sale with these guys, I cant have guys.. too loud, ect. ect. I wish because they are beautiful birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by