Hens or Roos. First time chicken owner

rgraz

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
Hey everyone. I am new to owning chickens and this is my first post.

I got six bantam chicks in the mail on may 9th. They were supposed to be vent sexed to be all female (mypetchicken.com gave a 90% accuracy). I have two of each barred rock, easter egger and buff brahma bantams. At 12 weeks old I suspect that 4 of them are roosters!!!!

I am new at this so my diagnosis may not be perfect but....

One each of the buff brahmas and Easter eggers have pronounced combs and wattles, crow and have started to develop pointed saddle feathers. They are much shinier than the other ones which don't crow and have no wattle. The comparison is apples to apples as they are the same breed.

The barred rocks look identical to each other. They both have pronounced combs and wattles and crow. No tail feathers yet and no other characteristics except that they crow like crazy.

I can't post pictures yet which is a bummer. But for anyone who can help please email me ([email protected]) and I can send you the pictures.

I am bummed if my flock, which I thought would be 6 has to be reduced to 2!!!

If you contact that hatchery and tell them about what you got then they'll probably give you a refund, but then again I don't know.
idunno.gif
It's definitely hard to tell with out pictures but from what you described you have roosters.
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom