Hens or Roo's? Help me decide...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WonderChicken, Aug 14, 2010.

1. WonderChicken

WonderChicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    High Ridge, Missouri
    I have had the chicks for 2 to 3 months roughly. I'm not sure of their ages, but none of the chicks are laying yet. I think I may have two or three Roo's.
    I hope you can help me decide as I only want one [​IMG]

* Here's Moe: Rose Comb Rhode Island Red (hoping it's a roo)
    Moe tends to act with macho-ness and leadership as the others tend to follow Moe's lead. Moe is very docile toward people and animals.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

* Here's Paris Chilton: Rose Comb Rhode Island Red/Ameraucana (if it's a roo we'll change the name to Pierre)
    Paris is the smallest of the group and does not show any agressiveness/macho-ness. Paris is the "chicken" of the bunch. Not brave and stays very near a motherly type chicken. Paris doesn't want much to do with humans, but doesn't mind the animals. Paris has recently started venturing away from the motherly chicken, but when notices it's away from the comfort zone runs back to the motherly chick.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

*And finally here's Goldie: Braggs Mountain Buff (Yes, it's white, not buff. From the BMB website: "There remains, however, an occasional recessive gene for white feather color which exists to the extent that about five percent of Braggs Mountain Buff chickens may turn out to be white.")
    Goldie has an agressive side while roosting and stands ground when confronted by Moe. The two BMB's tend to go off, each by themself, not caring what anyone else is doing or where anyone else is in the yard. For reference here is the BMB website with a few pics of Roo's and Hens for compairison http://www.braggsmountainpoultry.com/

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope with your help I will be able to figure out who's what. I only have room for 8 chicks and would like one of them to be a roo. Thanks for your help [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Moe--roo
    Pierre--roo
    Goldie--hen

3. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Quote:I agree!

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I agree!

x2!!

5. WonderChicken

Aug 14, 2010
    High Ridge, Missouri
    Thanks jeslewmazer! That's great news [​IMG] I have a home for Paris/Pierre if I need to rehome him. I am glad to know Goldie is a hen...I really would have been sad to see her go.

Thanks to TurkeyMountainChickens and sonew123. That gives me even more reassurance!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  6. plantmgr

plantmgr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    I agree - Roo, Roo, hen. I saw pointy hackle feathers! I AM figuring this out!

7. WonderChicken

Aug 14, 2010
    High Ridge, Missouri
    So, pointy hackle feathers are a sure indication? That's good to know, thanks!

8. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I am a newbie, so can someone tell me what hackle feathers are??

9. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I vote goldie a hen. And would wait for the other 2 to crow

10. WonderChicken

Aug 14, 2010
    High Ridge, Missouri
    LOL...just when I thought I was getting somewhere [​IMG] I'm still glad no one thinks Goldie is a roo. Thanks tuesdays chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by