1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hens or roos or both? and what breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sueandthe6, Aug 23, 2014.

1. sueandthe6

sueandthe6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2014
    southeast Pa
    these two came in to the local shelter where I got my beautiful partridge cochin. They look at first glance to be barred rocks and I have always loved that speckled look. However, I am not sure I want to do a roo again so was hoping for some thoughts. Also the second pics the bird has a very different beak/head shape. why please?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a hen, at least going from these photos. Depending on the age, though, it could still be a rooster. And is either a hatchery Barred Rock or Barred Rock mix.

3. curtishannah

curtishannah Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    look like two hens to me but I would like to know about the age they look to be about 1 or better in age I would have to say hens

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both are pullets, and appear to be Barred Plymouth Rocks. To me, they look around 5 months old.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree this bird and the other one you posted both look female at this point.

6. sueandthe6

sueandthe6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2014
    southeast Pa
    thank you everyone. posted those after 24 hours plus of no sleep and wasn't sure I got pics of both birds but I see now I did and am glad the general consensus seems to be hens. I suspected so since they were brought from an area where people are not allowed chickens in the first place so would expect them to only have hens but ya never know. They are small at this point- mostly I assume to condition- will be bringing them home early next week. I don't really have anywhere to quarantine them- I debated asking the shelter to hold on to them for a period of time if I provide the feed- I know a lot say 30 days but I know they wont want to hold them that long. If I ask for two weeks is that worthwhile?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by