Hens or roos? What mix is the buff?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by happychickmom, Sep 28, 2009.

1. happychickmom

happychickmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    I hatched these chickens 4 months ago. The red & black one is Buff Orpington over Australorp. The buff-colored, barred one is BO over ??? The moms were the brown egg layer assortment from McMurray Hatchery.

The BO/Australorp has me befuddled. It has always had a big comb, but its two identical siblings developed definite sickles on their tails a few weeks ago. They have been rehomed. This one seems to have a blunt tail. (Black spots on comb are the result of a fowl pox outbreak we are going through. [​IMG])

I'm pretty sure the buff is a rooster. He's also HUGE - a good bit bigger than his 14 hatch mates, who all came from the same dad and big hens.

Hens or roos, and what is the barred buff crossed with?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    They both look like roos to me. Not sure about the Barred Buff crossing thing.

3. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Pic 1 is hard to tell without a good look at the legs but looks like a pullet... Pic 2 looks to be a Roo to me! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  4. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Barred Buff might be a barred rock X buff rock. My friend once had a buff hen in with his barreds to hatch some eggs. One of her offspring was a pullet and it looked a lot like that rooster.

5. happychickmom

happychickmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    I am so hoping the darker one is a pullet. My daughter and I painstakingly helped her hatch from her egg 4 months ago. She was the only one that needed help out of 15, and I always thought she had to be a girl after all of that work.[​IMG]

Also, if it is not a pullet, then I ended up with 10 roos and 5 hens. 9 and 6 would be much nicer.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    They both looks like roos to me too. On the darker one you can tell by the bright red coming in the wings and saddle. That is a typical sign of rooster plumage. I also see pointy saddle feathering on the barred one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by