Hens or roos?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dave Z, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2009
    Orpah the BO hatched out some chicks. Ended up with four - 3 EE and I BO/EE mix. They're about 6 weeks now, pretty much fully feathered, with a little down still under the wings and a few tufts around the head. Two of them are larger and a bit more aggressive and play fight at times, so I suspect they have some testosterone building up - little roosters. But they are not showing color in their feathering. Dad (Bubba) is a bright and beautiful Easter Egger with orange, gold, black, brown and green. The chicks in question look pretty much like the others. Well, the one that's half Buff Orp is nearly white. And they do not have the decidedly male look that Bubba had as a youngster.

I don't remember at what age Bubba started showing color. I assume it's when he feathered out. These chicks have feathered out like hens. If they are male, will they develop color later? I think that would mean they'd have to molt their current feathers, including flight feathers, and grow new ones. But I thought they didn't molt for about a year.

I'm so confused!

Any thoughts, other than waiting to see who starts crowing?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Lets see pics! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by