1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens or Roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PotterWatch, May 25, 2008.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've posted pics of my BR before but s/he is a bit older now so I thought I'd ask again. Putting up pics of my EE also just out of curiosity. They are both around 7wks old.

Ginny (who loves to sit on our knees):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luna (who is a bit of a pill):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    I'd say Ginny is a girl, Luna looks to be getting spiky hackle feathers so I think boy.... [​IMG]

3. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think the shiny looking feathers are just a trick of the light. Some of his/her neck feathers have a little white in them so it makes it look shiny in the pictures. I just went and picked him/her up and the neck/saddle feathers aren't shiny and they are blunt on the ends. Not saying I am convinced it's a girl though...

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I am going to say they are both pullets! Neither of them have red or orange combs or wattles. I would think any roo would be showing his wattles and comb by 7 wks. Correct me if I'm wrong somebody. I really do think that both are pullets!

5. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:Not shiny, spiky. Like they come to a point. It might just be the picture tho. If the hackle feathers look rounded then it should be a female. One sure way to tell - take the EE in the sunlight and hold it at all different angles - if there is any irredesence to the black feathers then it's a boy. Either way it's a good looking bird [​IMG]

6. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure and try it. I think the feathers just look that way in the pics because of their coloring. There is some penciling (I think that's what it's called) that makes it look like some of them are pointy, they look pointy to me unless I pick her/him up to look closer. I'll take a good look in the sun tomorrow.

7. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    I think both hens! good job@ [​IMG]

8. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    I think they are both pullets...Im pretty sure! [​IMG]

9. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks for the replies! I hope I get the same answers when I post pics of my RIRs in a couple weeks...

10. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:Awww I love it! HP names!... My Shih-poo's name is Ginny, and our farm is half and half, named after Lupin, and the flower Lupin....

Don't think I'm crazy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by