hens or rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by layalittleeggfo, Jan 5, 2013.

1. layalittleeggfo

layalittleeggfo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

can some one let me know if these are hens or rooster? they are nearly 30 weeks, and as far we we now thye are not laying, thye are very very nasty, and practibaly unable to handle them for licing worming ect.

but recently i have noticed that 1 of the other hens has been sitting on her eggs, i thought they only did that if there was a rooster about??

thansk Anna

2. NJchixs

NJchixs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Jackson, NJ
    I little hard to tell with the view, but they do look like hens close to laying. You can slowly gain their trust by offering a treat in a can. Shake it every time you offer it and they will soon learn to associate the two.

As far as sitting on eggs, any laying hen can go broody. Some tend to more than others. It's just their instinct. No rooster is needed for her to do it, but you would need a rooster for the eggs to be fertile. If you don't have a rooster, their is no point in letting her do it. They will eventually spoil and could make a mess if they break. You could get her some fertile eggs and slip them under her if you don't mind her attempts.

3. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Both of these girls look very girly from the color pattern to the feather shape to the smaller combs and legs. They look like a rangy version of Welsummers. What breed or mix are they supposed to be?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  4. layalittleeggfo

Oct 20, 2012
    thank you both thats really a load off. i do the treat thing its the only way i can get through the main door otherwise they all try and escape into the freedom of the garden, the 4 nova browns are a lovely tempremnt, there 2 just stand ontop of the coop squawrking and flapping their wings at you, tbh i find it quiet distressing so goodness knows how thye take the 3 times weekley clean

thanks njchixs id prefer she didnt get used to sitting on eggs tbh, she is easy to move and does not show any distress when we move the eggs out of the box

dretd im sorry i dont know what bread they are, we got them from a friend of a friend origionally and alothough he keeps about 70 chickens he was unsure of the breed they were.

i have just had a look further down this section and there is a thread on welsummer, someone has posted a pic of their welsummer at 8 weeks old and thets what both of these looked like at that age so you may be correct dretd :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  5. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Are they nasty like, ew, gross or nasty mean?

6. layalittleeggfo

Oct 20, 2012
    They are agressive, dont know if its a breed thing, they have been the same from the day we got them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by