Hens or roosters and maybe some help with ages

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tsiecz, Sep 27, 2011.

1. tsiecz

tsiecz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    I purchased this group with the ages being "they will be laying any day", and they are all hens. I tried to get pictures and it is amazing that when the camera came out no one wanted there picture taken(LOL).After watching them for the last 3 weeks there have been changes in their appearance. Waddles and combs changing from pink to red.Also with reading the forum here and looking at photos I have some doubts on some of my flock.Here are some of the pictures I was able to get. I still have one more I'll post (RIR) when it will cooperate.
    [​IMG]
    Barred rock my guess is this is a hen? Age?.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Americuana or EE- Hen?? Age/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This BR is the one that is troubling to me. Large comb compared to the other. The back tail feathers are not as straight up as the other
    and are a little longer. Hen? Age.
    [​IMG]
    RIR, Hen? Age?
    None of these are laying yet but with the change in scenery and the days getting shorter, I don't know what to expect.
    Should be laying any day...LOL
    I have another Americuana or EE that is laying every other or every third day. Sunday had a XL green egg.
    Great to have one laying but still waiting for the others.
    Thanks for your help.

I

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I would go with EE hen, about 18-20 weeks?
    BR, wasn't sure if it was a BR or a Dominique...I have BR, this one has a large comb, but not seeing any hackle and saddle feathers, I would guess 20 weeks +
    And a Production Red or RIR at about 20ish weeks...hard to tell coloring from picture, here are a couple of mine to compare at 23 weeks

[​IMG]
    My BR girls

[​IMG]
    My Production Red

3. tsiecz

tsiecz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    What is a prodtion hen? What is the difference?

4. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I may be wrong, I thought mine was a RIR, but was corrected...a Production Red is a mixture of a RIR and a NHR...lays lots of brown eggs, and mine is VERY gentle....lighter in color than the RIR.
    A RIR is a bit more aggressive, the looks are a bit more aggressive, roosters known to kill foxes even! A good winter layer.

I am not familiar with either really, this is my first year owning a red hen...maybe someone else can help you more...

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    OK I LOOKING AT THE PHOTOS WITH MY CELL PHONE..I hate to say this but that last photo and the BR before it look total rooish:(

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    1st hen...br
    2nd hen...Americuana
    3rd rooster...br
    4th i dont know about rir that much but looks like a hen...i dont think thats a rir with the lack of tail unless she has just shed her tail feathers...but it could be a rooster to since the age is unknown...if its a young chicken then its a rooster...if its an adult then i would have to say hen

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    The Production Red Chicken Breed is a cross between the popular Rhode Island Red Chicken and the New Hampshire Red Chicken. They are bred to be a very capable and efficient egg production bird, yielding vast quantities of large brown eggs. They were developed later than the Rhode Island Red Chicken to be less of a meaty bird.

They are smaller in size than Rhode Island Reds, and have more brittle, lighter feathers. The color of the Production Red Chicken is similar to the Rhode Island Red, but they are noticeably lighter in color.

The demeanor of the birds is for the most part calm and docile. Although the Production Red Rooster can become a bit aggressive, especially in larger flocks. They are quite adaptable to a wide range of climates, and even make good winter laying birds. If you are looking for wonderful free-range egg production, the Production Red Chicken is a great option.

The Rhode Island Red Chicken is one of the most popular breeds of American Chickens. They are extremely useful and productive birds, being outstanding for both meat and egg production. Furthermore, their social personality and active dispositions make them a great pet and show bird. Also, they are a go-to breed for people interested in raising free-range chickens, has they have superb foraging abilities and strong resistance to illness.

They lay substantial numbers of brown eggs, which are large and great for human consumption. The superior egg laying capabilities of Rhode Island Red Hens has spurred countless competitions at state fairs and 4-H clubs around the country.

The Rhode Island Red Chicken is truly American in nature. Having been developed in Rhode Island from European ancestors, this breed has come to symbolize American Poultry.

this info was found on the site: http://www.efowl.com

8. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree.
    And I want to add that I've heard their combs and wattles will brighten up right before they get ready to lay so keep a close eye in the next few weeks. You might have some more eggs very soon.

9. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    here is a pic of my BR roo, I raised 4 of them last year...notice his coloring is different, he is about 20 weeks old...

[​IMG]

still not sure on yours...but if it is not crowing by now, I would say pullet...and reaching POL any day now.

10. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    That 2nd Barred Rock looks very much like a rooster to me, but the others all look like hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by