Hens or Roosters - New Pictures

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by curlybird, Aug 23, 2014.

1. curlybird

curlybird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2014
    Perth, Australia
    Just wondering if any of you chicken experts are able to tell if any of our chickens are hens or roosters yet? Or is it still too early to tell?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  2. olympicchicks

olympicchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    Cheshire, England
    I'm definitely not an expert but I'm guessing that the middle is a roo as it looks like it's got a little bit of a watlev

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You can see the pink in comb. At this age only cockerels will have that, I'm guessing these are 4-5 weeks and in another week it will be conclusive for you. First two look like cockerels to me.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The second bird is definitely a cockerel and I think the third one is too. The first one has the best chance of being a pullet in my opinion, but even it has a large comb for the age.

5. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

All looking like cockerels right now! I would repost new pics in a couple of weeks. You can usually tell by 6-8 weeks! :)

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They all look like cockerels to me.

7. curlybird

Aug 23, 2014
    Perth, Australia
    They are about 5 - 6 weeks old...

I really hope they aren't all cockerels, otherwise we are going to have to find a new home for all of them as we are unable to keep roosters where we live.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm also leaning toward all cockerels, but not positive. Maybe post again in 2-3 weeks for an update?

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    If 5-6 weeks now then the first one may or may not as it's pink coloring may be due to lighting and camera. 2nd definite pink/red coloration- cockerel. 3rd is a pullet. Size of comb means nothing really, it's the color and that color is yellow.

At 5-6 weeks is when I'm always certain to my previous assumptions with my birds. It's the age when cockerels start getting color in comb. Pullets wont get pink until 14 weeks of age or older in comb and wont be red at all until point of lay.

10. curlybird

Aug 23, 2014
    Perth, Australia
    The middle one definitely does have a lot of pink in its comb, and it is a lot bigger than the other two.

I will take some more photos over the coming weeks and post them here. Thanks for all your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by